Root Canal Treatment and Tooth Extractions
No one better understands the anxiety that oral surgery causes, - especially root canal surgery. Even longed-for smile correction surgery can make the most enthusiastic patient worried on appointment day. The good news is, at the Payson, Arizona practice of Anderson Dental, we make dental surgical procedures such as root canals and extractions easier to manage with gentle and effective treatment. To learn more or schedule an appointment for root canals or tooth extractions, fill out our online appointment form or give us a call at 928-474-4581!
Root Canals in Payson, AZ
Inside every tooth is a space called a root canal. The root canal contains pulp and the tooth's nerve, which is not necessary for the tooth's health. When the nerve or the pulp sustain damage, bacteria begin multiplying, causing an infection. During the procedure, our dentist will drill a small entry hole in your tooth, remove pulp, nerve tissue, and the bacteria, then seal the tooth. Those who have an infection requiring medicine will have the tooth sealed later, a process that takes about a week. Although the term "root canal" causes tremendous apprehension in many new patients, the procedure often passes by relatively painlessly. If the dentist notices a severe infection, then he may perform an emergency root canal to eliminate the bacteria and damaged tooth material on the spot. In certain instances, the dentist may build a crown to further protect the weakened tooth from breaking.
More on Root Canals
If you’re feeling severe pain in your tooth or you experience tenderness when you touch it, you may need to come in for a root canal treatment. At Anderson Dental, we offer a comfortable and efficient procedure within a warm and relaxed atmosphere. Here are some things you should know about our root canal treatment.
What Is a Root Canal?
The root canal is the cavity in the root of the tooth that’s filled with pulp. It’s also used to refer to the process of treating an infected pulp. When the pulp in the root canal gets infected or injured, it can lead to severe pain in the affected tooth and gum. When this happens, immediate dental attention is necessary.
The Root Canal Procedure
The root canal procedure is also called an endodontic treatment. Treatment is usually a four-step process performed in just two office visits.
- Numbing of the tooth: Using local anesthesia, our dentist numbs the tooth to prevent excessive pain. After that, a small rubber sheet is placed around the tooth to keep it dry and clean.
- Opening and removing the infected pulp: With a small tool, we’ll create a very small opening on the top of the tooth. Then, we remove the infected pulp. We’ll also use an antimicrobial solution to disinfect the inner chamber of the tooth.
- Filling of the tooth: After the tooth is clean and dry, we fill it with gutta percha. We close the tooth using a temporary filling until a permanent crown is ready.
- Placing the permanent crown: After a few weeks, you’ll return for us to finish the root canal treatment. We’ll place a porcelain crown on the tooth with a supporting post.
Reasons for the Root Canal Procedure
You need an endodontic treatment or root canal when the soft tissue in the root canal of a tooth gets inflamed or infected.
The inflammation may be caused by:
- Deep decay
- A chip or crack on the tooth
- Repetitive dental procedures done on the tooth
- An injury without a physical crack
A root canal procedure is needed to prevent abscess and further damage to the tooth and gums.
Signs indicating you may need a root canal procedure include:
- Sensitivity to cold or hot food or liquid
- Tenderness while chewing
- Change in the color of the tooth
- Swelling of the gum tissues
- Severe and persistent pain
Benefits of Root Canal Treatment
There are various advantages of root canal treatment, including the following:
- Pain relief: The intense pain will cease, and there will be no need to continue using pain relievers.
- Prevent abscess formation: Root canal treatment mitigates the formation of abscesses.
- Prevent tooth infection: The spread of infection to other teeth stops after treatment.
- Restore ability to chew: You’ll be able to bite and chew normally within a few days after the treatment.
- Prevent tooth removal: Root canal treatment saves your tooth, so there will be no gaps or missing teeth.
About Anderson Dental
At Anderson Dental, we offer comprehensive dental care for adults and children in Payson. Apart from root canal therapy, we also offer preventive routine cleaning and sealing, X-rays, dental implants, dentures and bridges, and teeth whitening. Our dental clinic offers a comfortable treatment process void of undue pain.
Book an Appointment for Your Root Canal Treatment Today
Give us a call at 928-474-4581 to request an appointment for a root canal or for a free exam and X-ray. You can also contact us immediately by sending a message through our online contact form. We’re eagerly waiting to provide service that exceeds your expectations.
We have happy patients.
"They are the Best!" With extensive reconstructive dentistry to be done, over the last 6 years I have been to a few dentists. I cannot begin to say just how truly happy I am to have ended up at Anderson Dental. Everyone, I mean everyone in the office has in some way helped me through this process. With the help of Dr Scott Price, Dr. Eric Anderson, and his wonderful staff I have restored my smile, my confidence, and my ability to chew! Thank you one and all.